Historical information about Pellinge the association

The first written information found about the Pellinge archipelago dates back to 1441 when Karl, later King of Sweden, wrote a letter to his knight in Vyborg from Pellinge. The main islands of Pellinge were presumably inhabited between 1000 and 1250. The first existing taxation books are from around 1540 and at that time there were as many as 13 houses registered in three villages.
Old photos.
Pellinge Hembygdsförening i Helsingfors (PHF) was founded in 1936 by a group of active people from Pellinge. The task and aim of the association is to take care of the collection of historical material from the late 19th and early 20th century in order to exhibit how people in the archipelago lived in those days. At the same as we preserve the Pellinge culture and heritage we also work for an active and vital Pellinge of tomorrow.

The Museum Hörbergsgården is a house transferred to its current site from the Söderby village. Other buildings belonging to the museum are two houses where boats are kept, a stable, a smithy, a barn and a sheep house.

In 2015, the museum is open on Sunday from 12 noon until 3 p.m. from 14 June until 16 August. In addition to the standard collection of old Pellinge items, there is an exhibition where two local artists display and sell their works: handicraft by Eva Kyrklund and unique ceramics by Rune Rikberg.

Free admission during opening hours. Guided tours at other times 50 €/group, inquiries pellingemuseum(at)gmail.com.

In the small museum shop you can buy books, maps and charts in addition to local handicraft as well as cards with maritime and nature motifs from Pellinge. Cash payment only.

The association also arranges an annual Midsummer party on Midsummer day, a children’s party and together with other sponsors, a rural sailing boat competition at the beginning of July. For more details, please contact the secretary by e-mail, the address can be found in the Swedish version of our website, under the heading “Styrelsen”.

Summer market
We also have a stand at the popular Pellinge summer market. There you can buy our publications (e.g. a series of five historical Pellinge books and the current number of the magazine “Pellinge Nytt”, both published in Swedish) and other interesting items related to Pellinge. We also sell vintage postcards as well as modern, folded postcards with nature motifs from Pellinge and views from Klovharun (please see Klovharun below). Mail order also possible through the secretary.

Maps and charts
The oldest map of Pellinge found so far was drawn in 1650 – 1651. PHF has been granted the right to distribute copies of the original, which is kept in the National Archive in Helsinki. We have also made a special copy of coastal charts connected to the Pellinge archipelago. We have added useful information on the chart such as stones, shallows, names of islands and other important details. Maps and charts are for sale at the museum and at the summer market.

The author of the Moomin books, Tove Jansson, had her summer place at Pellinge since her childhood days, dating back to the 1920s. In 1995, at the age of 81, she decided to donate the Klovharun cottage to PHF to enable the preservation of this unique and fragile place also for future generations. We keep the house intact with a gentle hand following Tove’s wishes and principles. Klovharun is a private property where landing is only allowed during the open house week, which during summer 2016 is week 29, i.e. from Saturday 16 July from noon till Saturday 23 July until noon.

During the open house week you can also privately visit the island with your own boat. Staying overnight is not possible. Commercial trips to the island are only allowed on special permission granted by Pellinge Hembygdsförening. All media representative visits are subject to a fee and should have a special permission granted by Pellinge Hembygdsförening. All inquiries should be sent well in advance to pellingeklovharun[at]gmail.com.

Private people can rent the cottage on a weekly basis from Saturday to Saturday. Applications for the next summer season (including arguments and wishes regarding timing) can be sent to pellingeklovharun[at]gmail.com in January and February the same year. The applications will be reviewed thereafter and the applicants will be informed in April. The rent in 2016 is 500 €/week.

Guided tours will be arranged to Klovharun during the open house week. Additional information on these trips will be published on this website at the beginning of the summer. Unfortunately we cannot accept advance bookings. The terrain is challenging for people with restricted mobility. Dogs, cats and other pets are not allowed on the island. All guided tours are arranged weather permitting.